[Pythonmac-SIG] cjkcodecs-0.9

Ronald Oussoren oussoren at cistron.nl
Wed Jul 2 08:38:12 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, Jul 2, 2003, at 02:41 Europe/Amsterdam, John Miller wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 1, 2003, at 04:20 PM, Jack Jansen wrote:
>
>> Apple left the Python test stuff out of their distribution for
>> Jaguar, for unknown reasons (probably oversight).
>>
>> You should be able to grab the Lib/test directory from a source
>> distribution and drop it into /usr/lib/python2.2. Alternatively, you
>> could install Python 2.2.3 through fink (if you don't mind letting
>> fink on your machine), or install 2.2.3 from source yourself.
>
> Okay, it works now. Thanks!
>
> However, now I'd like to update (replace) the 2.2 version of Python
> that Apple ships with Jaguar to 2.2.3. I'd like to check that this
> would be the way to do it:
>
> 1) After downloading and unpacking Python-2.2.3.tgz I go into the top
> level of the Python-2.2.3 directory and issue the following commands:
>
> ./configure --prefix /usr/lib --exec-prefix /usr/bin # I think this
> matches Apple's default structure

I strongly advise not to do this. Apple might ship updates that update
(parts of) python, those would revert some of you new installation to
an older version of python. There's also the risk of backward
compatibility, the Python developers try really hard to keep 2.2.x
releases backward compatible but someone may rely on a bug in 2.2.0.
You might get errors from seemingly unrelated sofware after upgrading.

It's better to install in /usr/local and make sure /usr/local/bin is
before /usr/bin on you $PATH.

Ronald