[Pythonmac-SIG] Which version of Python 2.2 is in OS 10.2?

Paul Berkowitz berkowit@silcom.com
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 17:31:40 -0700

On 4/19/03 2:18 PM, "Michael Hudson" <mwh@python.net> wrote:

> Paul Berkowitz <berkowit@silcom.com> writes:
>
>> I did not get an answer at comp.lang.py, so I'm writing again here. Can
>> someone tell me which version of Python 2.2 is in the default Mac OS 10.2
>> distribution?
>
> Someone answered.  Maybe you can check google.

Hmm. Still doesn't show up. That newsgroup gets so much traffic, I might
have to keep digging. But Fred Drake (editor of the docs) wrote me privately
now, so I know the answer. (See below.)

> The Apple-bundled Python is "2 point 2 point nothing", aka 2.2.  Not
> 2.2.1 or 2.2.2.

Right. I knew that, thanks. It was the "2.2p1" I didn't know about.

>> The complete list of Python Documentation includes two different sets for
>> Python 2.2: one released on 21 December 2001 and the other on 29 March 2002.
>> The Index refers to both simply as "Python 2.2": that can't be right, can
>> it?
>
> If the answer on c.l.py is to be believed the latter is an update *to
> the documentation* for 2.2.

Yes; I wondered about that in my original query. Thank you. That's what Fred
confirmed - the 2.2p1 set is a corrected and partly expanded set of docs,
with no change to Python 2.2 itself. (It seems to me that the original,
faulty set of 2.2 docs should now be withdrawn from the website - I can't
quite see what purpose it serves.)

> But the differences in docs between 2.2 amd 2.2.1 will be largely
> insignificant.

Fred added that the 2.2.2 docs give expanded explanations, and that there
were no new features in 2.2.1 and 2.2.2. I gather from this list there there
were lots and lots of bug fixes, but those shouldn't affect the docs much.
I'm sure that even if there were a few changes, it will say "New in 2.2.2",
so I'll use the 2.2.2 set once I finish plowing through the 2.2p1 set.

Thank you for responding.

--
Paul Berkowitz