[Pythonmac-SIG] Communicating With Apple

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 11:32:42 +0200

On Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003, at 23:54 Europe/Amsterdam, Michael Hudson
wrote:

>> So, will this be a vanilla unix python, or Macpython 2.2.2? In other
>> words, would the Carbon/Mac modules be included?
>
> I *think* the diffuculty is that Python is considered to be part of
> Darwin, and so doesn't "see" the Mac side of things... hard to compile
> _Res.c when there's no Carbon.framework.

That's not the problem. Look in your /usr/lib/python2.2/lib-dynload,
you'll see
all the MacPython extension modules there.

The bad news is that they're next to useless. The whole Mac subtree is
missing,
and Mac/Lib is where all the goodies were under 2.2. And even if the
Mac subtree
was there there are lots of other problems. For one thing, all the
modules
use Mac :-style pathnames.

I started on some hooks to do a MacPython-OSX 2.2.X add-on distribution
(look in the CVS tree in Mac/OSX, anything with "jaguar" in the name),
and
I got quite a couple of things working, but 2.3 is really taking up all
my time, and I think it is more important to get a really hot 2.3
distribution than spend time on a 2.2 addon that will have a limited
lifetime anyway.

Oh yes, this doesn't live in the 2.2 branch but in the main branch. The
idea was to take the Mac 2.3 portion and graft it onto unix 2.2. If
anyone
wants to revive it it'll need serious surgery, not in the least because
Mac/Lib has moved to Lib/plat-mac.
Goldman