[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython on X.2.1 -- argc/argv option

Jim Harrison jhrsn@pitt.edu
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 23:03:45 -0400

--B_3115926227_43471

on 9/26/02 4:28 PM, Antoine Picard at apicard@adobe.com wrote:

However, on another system running X.2.1, I ran into the problem that =
is
described on the mac python web page about  the installer "failing with
an empty window with a <<Terminated>> titlebar". I followed the
instructions and was able to get the python interpreter to run (after a
restart) but both my tool and a trivial python script (hello world) =
lead
to the <<Terminated>> window also.

Same here. If I "Disable argc/argv emulation" in EditPythonPrefs, the
interactive interpreter runs fine, but of course you can't drag/drop or
double-click scripts. If argc/argv emulation is not disabled, =
everything
terminates immediately with the <<Terminated>> window, including
starting the interactive interpreter. Oddly, I have gotten drag/drop
scripts to work intermittently with a subset of scripts, but I'm not
able to relate this to any particular setting.

On another topic, note also that X.2.1 apparently doesn't by default =
set
up a /usr/local/bin directory. This is confusing to BBedit, which tries
to call python at that location when you run code from the shebang =
menu.
If you create the directory and put a link to python in it, BBedit will
run python code from the editor again, using unix python as the
interpreter.

Jim Harrison
Univ of Pittsburgh

--B_3115926227_43471

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython on X.2.1 -- argc/argv =
option</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">on 9/26/02 4:28 PM, Antoine Picard at =
apicard@adobe.com wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">However, on another system =
running X.2.1, I ran into the problem that is described on the mac =
python web page about &nbsp;the installer &quot;</FONT><FONT =
SIZE=3D"4"><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">failing with an empty window =
with a &lt;&lt;Terminated&gt;&gt; titlebar</FONT></FONT><FONT =
FACE=3D"Verdana">&quot;. I followed the instructions and was able to =
get the python interpreter to run (after a restart) but both my tool =
and a trivial python script (hello world) lead to the =
&lt;&lt;Terminated&gt;&gt; window also.<BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
Same here. If I &#8220;Disable argc/argv emulation&#8221; in =
EditPythonPrefs, the interactive interpreter runs fine, but of course =
you can&#8217;t drag/drop or double-click scripts. If argc/argv =
emulation is not disabled, everything terminates immediately with the =
&lt;&lt;Terminated&gt;&gt; window, including starting the interactive =
interpreter. Oddly, I have gotten drag/drop scripts to work =
intermittently with a subset of scripts, but I&#8217;m not able to =
relate this to any particular setting.<BR>
<BR>
On another topic, note also that X.2.1 apparently doesn&#8217;t by =
default set up a /usr/local/bin directory. This is confusing to BBedit, =
which tries to call python at that location when you run code from the =
shebang menu. If you create the directory and put a link to python in =
it, BBedit will run python code from the editor again, using unix =
python as the interpreter.<BR>
<BR>
Jim Harrison<BR>
Univ of Pittsburgh<BR>