[Pythonmac-SIG] mac and readline

bill fancher bfancher@mac.com
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 16:38:23 -0700

On Tuesday, September 3, 2002, at 09:36 PM, Calvin wrote:

> Any idea how to get readline working on mac os x 10.2?  I rebuilt from
> sources.  I didn't get _socket so I copied it over from the default
> install, but I still couldn't get readline working.

It should be pretty automagic. I had to fudge a bit to get readline 4.3
to compile (change line 76 of shlib/Makefile to "SHLIB_LIBS = -lSystem
-lCurses -lcc_dynamic".) Once it's installed, run configure before
running make. That should detect readline and set up your Makefile
accordingly. It's always worked for me.

> It is so very useful.

It makes Python usable in Terminal. (Readline is actually part of the
OS distribution, but it lives in a private framework. We could probably
engineer things to link to what's already there, so that the Macho
binary distribution could use it, but I suspect that some might frown
on that idea, perhaps rightly so...)

> Is there anything special I need to do?  I just did
> a vanilla build.

Can't think of anything else. Running configure after installing
readline is the crucial step.

--
bill