[Pythonmac-SIG] mac and readline

Dan Wolfe dkwolfe@pacbell.net
Wed, 04 Sep 2002 00:43:13 -0700

On 10.2, there's a later ncurses lib added which mucks up the readline
4.3 build.  I haven't had time to figure it out yet. Not all is lost,
however, as v4.2 still works like a charm.

Here's the recipe to get you going:

Installed readline-4.2.tar.gz
     - ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/readline/readline-4.2.tar.gz
     - gnutar -xvzf readline-4.2.tar.gz
     - cd readline-4.2
     - ./configure
     - make clean
     - make
     - sudo make install
     - sudo mv /usr/local/man/man3/* /usr/share/man/man3/

Note: you'll need to build and install readline before building python
2.2.1. The pre-installed 2.2 version does not have readline support.

- Dan