[Pythonmac-SIG] Problem building PyXML v0.8 in Python v2.2

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 11:23:16 +0200

On Monday, September 2, 2002, at 08:53 , W.T. Bridgman wrote:

> Jack,
>
> There is the 'cc -bundle' part as though it thinks it's a library.
> About the only environment variables I've changed are CVSROOT.  I'm
> running a straight default build.
>
> This is what has me wondering about the spaces in the file paths. The
> line parser for cc could be interpreting the entire line in very
> strange ways.  I know it drove me up a wall for several weeks trying to
> solve an earlier problem before I hit on that.
>
> Just where does this system get the 'darwin-5.5-Power Macintosh-2.2'
> string in the path?  I've looked in the setup.py file with no luck.

The spaces aren't a problem. At least, they aren't for anyone else:-)
Distutils creates everything under the "build" directory, and the lib
and temp directory names are created using the architecture, OS and OS
Version strings, so you can build for multiple architectures in one
source directory.

Did you build your Python from source, yourself? Because the strange
thing is that this exact identical command line has been used to link
all of the dynamic extension modules...

If you're sure you don't have any funny environment variables set (I
would double check, if I were you, by creating a new user and trying the
install as that user (without copying your login settings and such, of
course:-), and I would also check setup.py and/or distutils for putenv()
calls) then maybe could there be a funny cc somewhere on your path?

Hmm, another thing you could try: run the given command line manually
(don't forget to quote the filenames because of the spaces) and see what
happens? Maybe setup isn't executing the same command line as it's
printing? (Although I wouldn't know why...)
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -