[Pythonmac-SIG] Python documentation install - second try

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 00:02:51 +0200

Folks,
I think I've added all the band-aid needed to make Python build
again on Jaguar. Moreover, I've added stuff to the IDE to (a)
tell help viewer about the Python documentation and (b) allow
access to it from the IDE.

The following should do the trick:
- cvs update
- make frameworkinstall
- python setupDocs.py build
- python setupDocs.py install
- run PythonIDE

The help menu should give you access to the Python docs and the
Carbon docs, and a couple of online sources. Moreover, if you
select something in an edit window (only edit windows, not
output windows, unfortunately) you can use the "Lookup in Python
docs" or "Lookup in Carbon docs" to open the specified
documentation and use the selection as a query.

I still want a couple of things, feedback is solicited:
- Introductory documentation to MacPython-OSX. There should be
basic documentation of the IDE, and some notes on
python/pythonw/PythonLauncher.
- Integration of help(). It would be nice if you could point at
objects (in the debugger or the browser, for instance) and you
could get the help info for that object.
- Integration of help() with the documentation. It would be nice
if help() had some way to get to the relevant section of the
documentation. This is probably more a general problem than a
Mac or IDE problem.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -