[Pythonmac-SIG] Need help debugging Python documentation install

bill fancher bfancher@mac.com
Sun, 1 Sep 2002 12:04:28 -0700

On Sunday, September 1, 2002, at 12:17 AM, bill fancher wrote:

> On Wednesday, August 28, 2002, at 02:41 PM, Jack Jansen wrote:
>
>> If someone could do the following:
>> - cvs update
>> - make frameworkinstall
>> - python setupDocs.py build
>> - python setupDocs.py install
>> - Run a script with Python.app, something that stays open for a while=20=

>> so you can see the menu bar. Something like
>>   import EasyDialogs
>>   EasyDialogs.Message("Hello World")
>> should do the trick.
>> - Check whether there's a help menu, and whether the "Python Help"=20
>> entry will open the Python docs in help viewer.
>
> Got this far. It activates Help Viewer, but no docs turn up. (This=20
> with an clean checkout from CVS about an hour ago. Installing on clean=20=

> 10.2.)

You skipped steps 3 and 4, dumbo.

>> - Open Help Viewer manually and check whether the Python=20
>> documentation is mentioned in the index page.
>
> Not yet...
>
>> - Report your findings back here.
>
> I think applets are the wrong place for the docs. The end user=20
> typically cares nothing about Python and wants help with the current=20=

> application. The Python docs should be where developers will have easy=20=

> access: the IDE.
>
> There might be some call in the app framework that would add a "Python=20=

> Documentation" item to the Help menu. It could be used by PythonIDE=20
> and any applets that feel it's helpful to provide access to the Python=20=

> documentation. PythonIDE should probably be the only app to register=20=

> the help book. The Help menu item might just send an AppleEvent to=20
> open the Python docs so as not to interfere with app specific help.

Well, this is all very nice, but Jack's already done that (and more),=20
as you can plainly see now that you've followed the directions. Pay=20
attention!

Apologies to the list for the noise. And thanks to Brian Lenihan for=20
off-list hand-holding and this fix: 'edit line 300 of PythonIDEMain.py=20=

in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/Mac/Tools/IDE=20=

and change the last arg of the call to AHGotoPage from ""  to None'.

--
bill

"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the=20=

Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."=A0 Carl Sagan=