[Pythonmac-SIG] Need help debugging Python documentation install

bill fancher bfancher@mac.com
Sun, 1 Sep 2002 00:17:55 -0700

On Wednesday, August 28, 2002, at 02:41 PM, Jack Jansen wrote:

> If someone could do the following:
> - cvs update
> - make frameworkinstall
> - python setupDocs.py build
> - python setupDocs.py install
> - Run a script with Python.app, something that stays open for a while
> so you can see the menu bar. Something like
>   import EasyDialogs
>   EasyDialogs.Message("Hello World")
> should do the trick.
> - Check whether there's a help menu, and whether the "Python Help"
> entry will open the Python docs in help viewer.

Got this far. It activates Help Viewer, but no docs turn up. (This with
an clean checkout from CVS about an hour ago. Installing on clean 10.2.)

> - Open Help Viewer manually and check whether the Python documentation
> is mentioned in the index page.

Not yet...

> - Report your findings back here.

I think applets are the wrong place for the docs. The end user
typically cares nothing about Python and wants help with the current
application. The Python docs should be where developers will have easy
access: the IDE.

There might be some call in the app framework that would add a "Python
Documentation" item to the Help menu. It could be used by PythonIDE and
any applets that feel it's helpful to provide access to the Python
documentation. PythonIDE should probably be the only app to register
the help book. The Help menu item might just send an AppleEvent to open
the Python docs so as not to interfere with app specific help.

MHO,

--
bill