[Pythonmac-SIG] Editors -- backspace = 4 backspaces

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 14:42:34 +0100

On vrijdag, dec 20, 2002, at 17:31 Europe/Amsterdam, Russell E Owen
wrote:

>  It's funny how history controls us; if the original VT100 had used a
> tab width of 4 instead of 8 we'd probably all be happily coding with
> tabs.

Off by at least 20 years, I'm afraid: the venerable ASR-33 Teletype
already had 8-char tabs. And I wouldn't be surprised if that machine
picked it up from the telex industry or something.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -