[Pythonmac-SIG] How long until OS X Python is ready for prime time?

David Eppstein eppstein@ics.uci.edu
Tue, 03 Dec 2002 14:06:31 -0800

On 12/3/02 10:41 PM +0100 Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com> wrote:
> If you are developing a turnkey application I think I would suggest
> PyObjC. It can build on the installed /usr/bin/python, and an application
> in PyObjC will fit all your requirements (possibly with the exception of
> the 2MB download, I'm not 100% sure of that). Building a fullblown
> application with PyObjC still has a few rough edges, but they're being
> ironed out quickly.
>
> Cross-platform is out of the question with Cocoa, though. If that is
> important to you you'll have to wait for either MacPython-OSX 2.2 or
> MacPython-OSX 2.3, both scheduled to go to alfa in another month. (The
> difference is that 2.2 will build on the Apple's pre-installed
> /usr/bin/python). And then you'll have to add wxPython or Tkinter, both
> of which are still a bit shaky (at least: they were the last time I
> looked). And with these solutions I won't vouch for their handling of
> accented characters and such.

Thanks (also to Fran=E7ois Granger) for the feedback.  I'd be willing to =
wait=20
a month if the solution is likely to meet my needs better, but I'm a little =

worried about the "add wxPython or Tkinter" part -- if my users have to add =

that, it will significantly complicate the install process, but if I have=20
to add it myself, it will I assume bloat the download size.

Will try looking into PyObjC.  I don't mind a few rough edges on the=20
developer side as long as the users don't have to see them.
--
David Eppstein       UC Irvine Dept. of Information & Computer Science
eppstein@ics.uci.edu http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/