[Pythonmac-SIG] How long until OS X Python is ready for prime time?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 22:41:06 +0100

If you are developing a turnkey application I think I would suggest
PyObjC. It can build on the installed /usr/bin/python, and an
application in PyObjC will fit all your requirements (possibly with the
exception of the 2MB download, I'm not 100% sure of that). Building a
fullblown application with PyObjC still has a few rough edges, but
they're being ironed out quickly.

Cross-platform is out of the question with Cocoa, though. If that is
important to you you'll have to wait for either MacPython-OSX 2.2 or
MacPython-OSX 2.3, both scheduled to go to alfa in another month. (The
difference is that 2.2 will build on the Apple's pre-installed
/usr/bin/python). And then you'll have to add wxPython or Tkinter, both
of which are still a bit shaky (at least: they were the last time I
looked). And with these solutions I won't vouch for their handling of
accented characters and such.