[Pythonmac-SIG] readline

Paul Berkowitz berkowit@music.ucsb.edu
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 20:07:16 -0800

On 11/30/02 7:46 PM, "Nicholas Riley" <njriley@uiuc.edu> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 07:18:25PM -0800, Paul Berkowitz wrote:
>> Now - what does "link with the private readline.framework" mean?
>
> Edit Modules/Setup and include "-F/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks
> -framework readline" in the line for readline, then make sharedmods;
> make install.  If you're doing a framework install of Python 2.2.x,
> you also need to change Makefile.pre.in as follows:
>
> [...]
>   # This rule is here for OPENSTEP/Rhapsody/MacOSX
>   $(PYTHONFRAMEWORKDIR)/Versions/$(VERSION)/$(PYTHONFRAMEWORK):
>   $(LIBRARY) $(PYTHONFRAMEWORKDIR)
>        libtool -o $(LDLIBRARY) -dynamic $(OTHER_LIBTOOL_OPT)
>        $(LIBRARY) $(LOCALMODLIBS) \
>                 -framework System @LIBTOOL_CRUFT@
>
> The important part is to add $(LOCALMODLIBS).  There might be a
> simpler way to do this without reinstalling all of Python but I don't
> know about it.

I'm afraid I don't have any Modules/Setup anywhere. I just have the default
installation of python 2.2 in OS 10.2: I never installed it myself, and have
no installation files or folders.

>> Does someone here know how to do that? Dan Wolfe mentioned something
>> about "installing readline 4.2 or 4.3". I'd like to do something
>> that lets me use readline without otherwise changing Python 2.2 for
>> now, if that's possible.
>
> If you've got Fink, just 'fink install readline', and change the
> readline line in Modules/Setup to something like this:
>
> readline readline.c -L/sw/lib -I/sw/include -lreadline

Hmmm. What's Fink? (This seems to be rapidly spiraling out of all my fields
of reference. I really am very new to Unix.) And there's that Modules/Setup
again.

Is this the same readline as GNU readline?

--
Paul Berkowitz