[Pythonmac-SIG] readline

Nicholas Riley njriley@uiuc.edu
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 21:46:22 -0600

On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 07:18:25PM -0800, Paul Berkowitz wrote:
> Now - what does "link with the private readline.framework" mean?

Edit Modules/Setup and include "-F/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks
-framework readline" in the line for readline, then make sharedmods;
make install.  If you're doing a framework install of Python 2.2.x,
you also need to change Makefile.pre.in as follows:

[...]
  # This rule is here for OPENSTEP/Rhapsody/MacOSX
  $(PYTHONFRAMEWORKDIR)/Versions/$(VERSION)/$(PYTHONFRAMEWORK):
  $(LIBRARY) $(PYTHONFRAMEWORKDIR)
       libtool -o $(LDLIBRARY) -dynamic $(OTHER_LIBTOOL_OPT)
       $(LIBRARY) $(LOCALMODLIBS) \
                -framework System @LIBTOOL_CRUFT@

The important part is to add $(LOCALMODLIBS).  There might be a
simpler way to do this without reinstalling all of Python but I don't
know about it.

> Does someone here know how to do that? Dan Wolfe mentioned something
> about "installing readline 4.2 or 4.3". I'd like to do something
> that lets me use readline without otherwise changing Python 2.2 for
> now, if that's possible.

If you've got Fink, just 'fink install readline', and change the
readline line in Modules/Setup to something like this:

readline readline.c -L/sw/lib -I/sw/include -lreadline

--
=Nicholas Riley <njriley@uiuc.edu> | <http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/njriley>
        Pablo Research Group, Department of Computer Science and