[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: my python 2.1 build

David Pennell dpennell@guardnet.com
Wed, 23 May 2001 10:00:43 -0700

>> My question is, how do I get a _tkinter module into all this for
>> Tkinter.py to load?
>
>Look at setup.py, especially the detect_tkinter() method. Probably
>adding the right include/lib directories to lib_dirs and inc_dirs in
>the detect_modules() method is good enough.
>
>(This is setup.py in the main Python directory).
>--
>Jack Jansen

Yes, that is the heart of what my problem was, it can be a confusing
build, and it looks like setup.py runs in the middle of the make as well
as later. But among other things, i had it look for 8.3.3 files where it
should have been 8.3.

Anyway, now I have a happy Tkinter. It runs well with either XDarwin or
Xtools. The latter costs $200, unfortunately, which my company would not
buy, although it gives nifty Aqua windows and XDarwin is old-school
Motif, at least to start, and takes over your video.

Anyone who was wondering, though, Tkinter stuff (hanoi, PySol, the IDLE)
runs fine on XDarwin and on XTools (both with the XFree86 framework).

Thanks for the help

dp

p.s. everything else i put in worked just as suggested, like readline and
crypt, *BUT* I had mysterious problems for a while building the _sre
component of the (C-code) re module.