[Pythonmac-SIG] Rated X for (spot)

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Tue, 07 Aug 2001 11:41:30 +0200

> Jack Jansen wrote:
>
> > It works in unix-Python on OSX, but not in MacPython. And it never will: it's
> > only available in the BSD libraries and MacPython will be CFM-based for its
> > remaining lifetime.
>
> Is there really no way to get to BSD calls at all? Seems kindof dumb: why
> wouldn't a Carbon app want to do that under OSX?

Adding the BSD calls to CFM-based MacPython is doable, but not easy. The BSD
calls are only available in Mach-O libraries, so you would have to write stub
routines. Doable, but I've never done it. Hmm, this seems to be sort-of
similar to what calldll does, maybe someone wants to start hacking up calldll
to give us access to macho-libraries from MacPython?

The alternative, making MacPython itself Mach-O based, isn't worth the
trouble. There's no SIOUX and MSL C library under Macho, so you get to use the
gcc libc and lose the console, get unix pathnames, etc. By the time you're
done converting MacPython you have something very much resembling unix-Python,
so unix-Python is probably a better starting point in the first place.