[Pythonmac-SIG] 2.0 final installer available - please test

John W Baxter jwblist@olympus.net
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:07:30 -0700

At 10:29 +0200 10/23/00, Jack Jansen wrote:
>Folks, the 2.0 final installer is available in
>ftp://ftp.cwi.nl/pub/jack/python/mac , please try it. I'll wait
>announcing it until I've had a couple of reports that it looks good.

Installed OK here on my Mac 8100/80 running Mac OS 9.0.4 (a not entirely
sane version for me to run on the 8100 ;-)).

But...the installer appeared to hang in the Finishing... stage.  I noticed
that the hand of the watch was advancing now and then, and heard an
occasional disk hit, and I had some of my morning routine to take care of,
so I left it alone.  The installer did finish, after about 7 minutes
(estimate, might be 2 minutes high or 4 minutes low).

Something NOT to do:

While running the tests (two crashed for memory, which I hadn't increased,
as expected), I tried to have the File Sharing control strip module start
file sharing, so I could move the installer to my 7300/180.  The popup menu
popped up and stayed up...the mouse button indicator showed the mouse to be
down...testing stopped.

Force quit quit the control strip, and testing resumed and ran to completion.

Note that on the 8100 I use a Kensington trackball with recent (maybe even
current) software.

Test is now running on the 7300, where the install went fine (no long pause
noted in Finishing...).  The exptected three tests failed on the 7300, even
though I had increased memory to 24,000 preferred, 16,000 minimum (the
minimum did not come into play).

I don't have anything useful to try quickly against the new version beyond
the testing.

  --John

--
John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA