[Pythonmac-SIG] Path Name Problems in Python 1.6a2

Larry Meyn lmeyn@mail.arc.nasa.gov
Thu, 18 May 2000 13:11:39 -0700

I've found a couple of differences between how 1.5.2c1 and 1.6a2 in
how path names are handled.

1)
I store my commonly used software modules in a separate folder called
"packages" and I put an alias to it in my Python folder.  I then use
EditPythonPrefs to put "$(PYTHON):packages" into the system path.
This worked fine under 1.5.2c1, but 1.6a2 can't find modules stored
in the aliased folder.  If I replace the aliased folder with the
actual folder there is no problem.

2)
The other problem seems to be with tkinter.  Path names with the
"bullet" character (option-8) seem to get scrambled. Choosing the
file "Macintosh HD:Projects:Legacy Projects:*Descent
CAS/HAVOC:HAVOCpython:_HAVOC ND2" using the following code:

f = tkFileDialog.askopenfile(title='Select.',parent = root)

resulted in this error:

IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'Macintosh
HD:Projects:Legacy Projects:\342\200\242Descent
CAS/HAVOC:HAVOCpython:_HAVOC ND2'

Eliminating the "bullet" character resolved the problem.

Neither one of these problems is a show stopper, but I thought I
should report them.

Larry