[Pythonmac-SIG] mac islink()

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Sat, 06 May 2000 23:52:03 +0200

Recently, Amos Newcombe <anewcombe@earthlink.net> said:
> I read this from macpath.py:
>
> ># Return true if the pathname refers to a symbolic link.
> ># (Always false on the Mac, until we understand Aliases.)
> >
> >def islink(s):
> >	return 0

Ah, memories.... (That comment is still from the time that Guido
himself was responsible for MacPython)

But: I'm not 100% sure that an alias is sufficiently similar to a
symlink that it would be a good idea to put this in. Hmm, let me check
where islink is used... Hmm, inconclusive results. Some scripts would
definitely break, most appear to be unix-specific anyway. One other
point against fixing islink is that ntpath.islink() also always
returns zero, while NT aliases are a lot closer to unix symlinks than
MacOS aliases (if I understand them correctly).

I think I'll just take votes. So let me know whether you want islink()
to remain as-is or fixed.