[Pythonmac-SIG] WxPython for MacPython

Chris Barker cbarker@jps.net
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:24:09 -0800

Hi Folks,

Is anyone out there working on or interested in working on porting
wxPython to MacPython?

For those of you not on the wxPython list:

wxPython is a wrapper around the wxWindows C++ cross-platform GUI
framework. It is a very nice way to create cross platform (or single
platform, for that matter) GUIs in Python. There are a lot of folks that
have found it to be far more powerfull and flexible that tkInter, and it
is gaining a great deal of momentum as more and more folks use it.

For more info about wxPython see:

http://alldunn.com/wxPython/

And wxWindows:
http://206.101.232.131/

wxPython is now available and under continuous development (By Robin
Dunn) on MS Windows and Linux (as well as various other flavours of
UNIX)

wxwindows itself has been ported to the Mac
(http://www.advanced.ch/wxwin/). I have no idea how robust it is.

I am in desparate need for a crossplatform GUI tool for Mac, Windows,
and Linux development. I don't think tkInter is a great option, and
apparently no one else does, as no one seems interested in supporting it
on the Mac.

I don't know much about Mac programming, so it would be a monumental
task for me. I have a co-worker that's interested in working on it, but
I think it will be a hard sell if he'll have to do it all by himself.

Robin Dunn (The developer of wxPython) has expressed interest, and said
that if someone gives him a Mac, he'll work on it, and otherwise, he'll
help out anyone who is working on it.

The point of this post is to gauge interest, and to find out if anyone
is allready working on it. Please let me know what you all think, if if
what you think is "I'd love to see, it but can't work on it myself"

NOTE: Robin is is ing SWIG to build most of wxPython, so the first step
would be to get SWIG working on the Mac, which would be handy for other
purposes as well. Anyone working on that? (http://www.swig.org/)

Thanks,

-Chris

--