[Pythonmac-SIG] MacOS X probably no shipping Python

Bob Savage savageb@pacbell.net
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 15:31:45 -0800

Went to a demo of MacOS X today. Showing it off was Chris Bourdon "MacOS X
Product Manager".

I asked if a newer version of Python than 1.4 would be shipping with MOSX (a
long shot, I know, but 1.4 *did* ship with MacOS X Server), and he said,
probably not. Likely the gcc compiler and stuff won't be there either. Now
it was not 100% clear if this meant won't be there *on the CD*, available
for optional install or not.

He said developer stuff would need to be installed seperately, but also
stressed that there is a "complete BSD 4 dot 4" in there as well -- which
made it sound like the default install (and he showed the command prompt and
specifically mentioned bash, although he was running tcshell). I don't quite
know how one distinguishes which components of a standard install are part
of the "complete BSD" (I installed freeBSD -- or was it netBSD, I forget --
on my IIci once and it included both gcc and python). Someone asked him
about shipping with a compiler, saying that that was a pretty standard
component of a unix-like OS, and Chris emphasised that the majority of
people aren't gonna want anything to do with unix. Hmm. He's probably right
-- if my interests were like the majority I would probably be using perl on
a wintel box. ;^p

I probably seem like I'm making too much of some very brief remarks, but can
you imagine how cool it would be to have python come pre-installed in every
Mac? <drool>

well, enjoy the weekend everybody!

Bob