[Pythonmac-SIG] Tkinter - "use Interpreter"

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Wed, 07 Jun 2000 21:49:02 +0200

Recently, Bob Savage <savageb@pacbell.net> said:
> I suppose that would work, could the "use interpreter" setting be saved with
> the file being edited (as opposed to affecting all files until shut off)? I
> seem to remember "run as __main__" working that way. If so this would cut
> down on crashes if somebody kept shutting it off to test non-TK scripts with
> the debugger.

Ah yes, that triggers another idea I had: as Tkinter doesn't work from
within IDE it (the IDE) should flag imports of Tkinter (perhaps
optionally, through a preference). This is easily doable by prepending
a folder to sys.path that contains a Tkinter module that does does
nothing but put up a warning message telling the user about "run with
interpreter" and the preference to disable the warning (plus the
expected result of disabling that preference:-).