[Pythonmac-SIG] wxPython

Chris Barker cbarker@jps.net
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 13:49:51 -0800

Jack Jansen wrote:

> I spent a week or so this summer in getting Tkinter to
> work again, only because people kept asking about it (I personally
> abhor it)

Jack,

Have you checked out wxPython yet? Rumor has it that a port to MacPython
has been done (but not really released yet). Stepan Csomor (the wxMac
developer) posted this note to the wxWindows mailing list:

########
> Anyone working on a wxPython for Macintosh?
>
> Philippe de Rochambeau

Milan Brunclik from Barco has done it and promised to send me the
sources,
I'll hope to have things like this and OpenGL back in the archives by
christmas

Stefan
#######

Once it's basically working, I'm sure it will need a fair bit of
tweeking, so it would be great if the MacPython crown chipped in.

wxPython would really be a great addition to MacPython. Besides
providing another cross platform GUI toolkit, it would also provide a
complete application framework, complete with a substantial number of
nice high level widgets. This would be helpful for MacPython develpment,
even if you were only writing for the Mac.

A lot for folks that don't like tk, like wx a lot (I'm one of them), so
it's worth a look.

-Chris