[Pythonmac-SIG] can't exit module

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 00:06:56 +0100

Recently, "Dr Alun J. Carr" <carraj@attglobal.net> said:
> If you look at the Wish shell for Tcl, it actually uses two Tcl
> interpreters in the one program. This is what we need for the Python IDE:
> the IDE executing in one interpreter, and the script in another. This might
> allow the use of Tkinter in the second interpreter, if we're lucky.

Unfortunately for Python this means that one of the two interpreters
cannot use a GUI, which sort-of defeats the purpose.
Tcl/Tk doesn't have this problem because they have completely masked
the native OS GUI calls. The advantage of this is that their gui-calls
can handle multiple threads, the disadvantage is that most MacOS
toolboxes aren't available, and those that are (QuickTime,
AppleEvents) only to a _very_ limited extent, and with quite a bit of
effort.

> I must say that I sympathize with another correspondent about the need to
> fix things so that we can get IDLE running on MacOS.

Definitely. But is seem that no-one cares enough to actually put some
work into it:-( I spent a week or so this summer in getting Tkinter to
work again, only because people kept asking about it (I personally
abhor it) and in the hope that Tkinter development would pick up again
once I had gotten the lowlevel stuff working, but it seems not, alas...