[Pythonmac-SIG] Advanced Editor patch

Joseph J. Strout joe@strout.net
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 09:18:56 -0700

At 6:00 PM +0200 10/01/99, Jack Jansen wrote:

>this is a great feature, but a rather hacky implementation, I think. Why not
>use command-questionmark or something like that? (Command-questionmark may be
>bad because it's bound to help)

Actually, it's not bound to anything as far as I can see.  Maybe that
would be a good solution.

Another possibility would be something more analogous to what MCL
does: do it whenever when you type an open-paren after a function
name.  Let the paren go through in any case (making it therefore
somewhat less hackish than the current interface), but print out a
docstring when you can.  Naturally you'd want to be able to turn this
feature off, so as to not clutter up your output window...

Hmm, nope, I like Jack's idea better.  Anybody else have an opinion on this?

Cheers,
-- Joe

|    Joseph J. Strout           Biocomputing -- The Salk Institute |
|    joe@strout.net             http://www.strout.net              |