[Pythonmac-SIG] Advanced Editor patch

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Fri, 01 Oct 1999 18:00:59 +0200

> Function Look-up:
>
> This feature looks for doc strings for a function or class when you
> type a question mark ("?") after the function name in an editor
> window. For example, go into any IDE editor window at type "string?".
> The string.__doc__ will be printed to the output window. It also
> works for functions, e.g. "string.strip?".  When the query is
> successful, the question mark is absorbed (not entered into the
> editor). If you really need to type the question mark after a known
> function, you'll have to type it first after a space, and then delete
> the space.

Joe,
this is a great feature, but a rather hacky implementation, I think. Why not
use command-questionmark or something like that? (Command-questionmark may be
bad because it's bound to help) And also add it to the menu, what the command
should do is assume the cursor in the frontmost window is at the end of (or in
the middle of) the thing you want to look up.