[Pythonmac-SIG] not very Standard_Suite

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Thu, 02 Dec 1999 12:08:23 +0100

I don't fully understand how OSA inheritance works, so that's why the current
scheme is a bit clumsy. The inheritance _is_ specified in the various Inside
Mac chapters, so if someone cares to implement this correctly: please be my
guest.

I think the inheritance goes something like
1. If you declare the suite without any content you get the standard one.
2. If you put content in you have to add empty placeholders for all things you
want to inherit as-is.
3. For anything you want to modify (add extra optional parameters, for
instance) you have to fully specify it.

This could be implemented in Python with a bit of redesign: currently the
suite name is used both as module name and class name, but you should use the
suite name as class name only and the application name as module name. Then
you could do something like

# File CodeWarrior.py
import Applescript

class Standard_Suite(Applescript.Standard_Suite):
    ... override anything you want ...