[Pythonmac-SIG] Status of MacPython?

Richard Gordon maccgi@bellsouth.net
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 21:43:58 -0400

At 18:03 -0700 08/24/1999, John W Baxter wrote:
>I'd hate to see lots of folks stopped at some version (1.5.2?) of Python by
>having the future be MacOS X only.  On the other hand, Jack and the others
>who do the work have only so much time.

FWIW, there was a similar thread on the MacPerl list a few months
ago. I think that I am correct in summarizing the upshot of it as:

1. Plain Old Perl will run on MacOS X and MacPerl has no
developmental future there.
2. MacPerl's development will continue, but in the context of OS8/9
only (I don't even recall seeing anything about Carbon, but could be
mistaken about that).
3. The assumption is that it will be years before OS X is the
dominant Mac operating system mainly because of hardware limitations.

I don't know that any of the above has (or should have) any bearing
on MacPython's future, but just thought you'd be interested.

Richard Gordon
Gordon Consulting & Design
Database Design/Scripting Languages
mailto:richard@richardgordon.net