[Pythonmac-SIG] Status of MacPython?

John W Baxter jwblist@olympus.net
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 18:03:19 -0700

At 12:58 -0700 8/9/99, Joseph J. Strout wrote:
>This is a good question.  I'd guess that some Mac-specific modules
>will always be in order, for accessing Mac services not available on
>other platforms.  Whether we'll need an entirely separate build is
>unclear.  Probably we will, as most Mac users won't want to follow
>the usual Unix method of downloading things as source code and
>wrestling with it for a few hours to get it to compile before using
>it.

For a long time, more Macs will be running MacOS 8 or 9 than are running
MacOS X (including 100% of my current Macs, and several company Macs, on
which MacOS X won't run).  I don't know whether I'll be buying a new Mac or
not...it depends on whether I like what I see in MacOS X (an alternative is
a switch to Linux, and let my newer current Mac (7300) top out at whatever
the end of the line for classic MacOS is).

A Carbon-based MacPython would work for folks with Machine/OS combinations
as far back as Carbon.lib works reliably (however far back that is, and
assuming it turns out to be reliable on anything).

I'd hate to see lots of folks stopped at some version (1.5.2?) of Python by
having the future be MacOS X only.  On the other hand, Jack and the others
who do the work have only so much time.

  --John
--
John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA