[Pythonmac-SIG] Status of MacPython?

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@Digicool.com
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 10:21:35 -0400

> I'm not sure what the best choice is for MacOS X. One possibility would be to
> start with plain-old-unix-Python and add the Mac modules we want. The other
> would be to start with MacPython, make it carbon-compliant and start with
> that. Each of the approaches has its merits: The unix-approach would bring
> MacPython more in line with the other platforms, but the mac-approach would
> make it easier to keep things like the current preferences stuff,
> PYC-resources and the dynamic module scheme.
>
> Maybe we could start off with two distributions (or one distribution with two
> binaries?) and work towards one binary from there, I don't know... Of course,
> things that third parties (like CodeWarrior) do could also have great impact
> on this question.

The new version of ProjectBuilder in MacOS X (Developer Preview) has the
ability to import projects, and (I believe) it can import CodeWarrior
projects so work can be done to carbon-ify them.  I think I was able to
bring in the MacPython sources this way, but I didn't know my way around
near-well enough to go any further.

I'm getting a new 8 gig hard drive today whose purpose is to let me install
a few alternate OS's and not wipe my main hard drive out again *waaa!*.
Getting Python compiled on MacOS X is not a high priority for me, but MacOS
X Server may become one if DC Customers want to deploy Zope on that
platform, so I'm interested in getting that up and running again.

Would a carbon-complient MacPython mean it would support threads?  That's
the most important thing to me.  I always end up compiling Python on XXX
platforms because any "shipped" Pythons tend not to be threaded.

.jPS