[Pythonmac-SIG] Status of MacPython?

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 10:33:39 +0200

> It would be really useful to me to see some brief comments on the future
> of Mac Python from Jack and/or Just, even though I know that crystal-ball
> stuff is inexact. Is it anticipated that standard python will compile for
> Mac OS X or will a special distribution be required? Will Mac Python
> continue as a separate entity? Are additional Mac Python releases (i.e.,
> the 1.5.2 final) anticipated? If MacPython will continue in the future,
> what's the prognosis of the current development effort?

I'm not sure what the best choice is for MacOS X. One possibility would be to
start with plain-old-unix-Python and add the Mac modules we want. The other
would be to start with MacPython, make it carbon-compliant and start with
that. Each of the approaches has its merits: The unix-approach would bring
MacPython more in line with the other platforms, but the mac-approach would
make it easier to keep things like the current preferences stuff,
PYC-resources and the dynamic module scheme.

Maybe we could start off with two distributions (or one distribution with two
binaries?) and work towards one binary from there, I don't know... Of course,
things that third parties (like CodeWarrior) do could also have great impact
on this question.

And 1.5.2 final is alive and kicking, the problem is that I'm fiendishly busy,
and so is Just, and the final packing up of a distribution just doesn't seem
to happen. Actually, if I have to pack something up right now it'll be 1.5.2+,
as my sources track the CVS repository and these have gone past 152 (and I
don't have the time to retrieve the old stuff, adapt the projects, etc).