[Pythonmac-SIG] Using Python or Java for data analysis(no flame wars please)

Joseph J. Strout joe@strout.net
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 10:08:39 -0700

I may be able to point out some very new and upcoming developments of which
you are not aware.

First is PIDDLE, a portable plug-in drawing module for Python.  It is the
first truely platform- and medium-independent drawing module available for
Python.  It's not quite done yet, but it will be done in the next few
weeks.  See:

	http://www.strout.net/python/piddle/

Second is a Python plotting package, tentatively named Graphite, which will
be built on top of PIDDLE to provide both professional-level printed plots
and interactive (onscreen) graphing.  This is a 10-week project just now
getting underway, and there are no public documents about it yet.  However,
I think it will be a very powerful and elegant plotting/graphing solution,
and it does get you the cross-platform compatibility you seek.

That still leaves other GUI elements like menus, buttons, etc., which
PIDDLE does not handle.  But if you use Tk, you can get fairly good GUI
portability, and simply use Graphite via the Tk plug-in renderer for PIDDLE.

Best regards,
-- Joe Strout
|    Joseph J. Strout           Biocomputing -- The Salk Institute |
|    joe@strout.net             http://www.strout.net              |