[Pythonmac-SIG] newbie question (bullet symbol?)

Bob Savage savage@2xtreme.net
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 23:21:33 -0800

Hi, all,

just learning to work with this stuff. I was toying with some code out of
the Mark Lutz book and trying to customize it a bit. I entered it into a
new script in the IDE and tried to run it but I got a syntax error warning
and the error indicated it was a problem in the middle of a word! In the
error message dialog box it makes it look like there is a bullet symbol in
the middle of the word so I thought I must have mistyped something. I
selected several letters before and after the phantom bullet and tried
typing over it, but it was still there when I tried to run it again. I
tried to see if there was an extra character there by moving the cursor
with the arrow keys and it doesn't seem to be there. Then I tried just
dragging the script onto the regular Python application and it gave me a
syntax error with a something like a little carot (exponent) symbol under
the exact same place. If I remember correctly (the script is at work) the
error seems to be inside the variable name:
counter
right after the e (before the r). Oddly enough an earlier line:
counter = 0
worked fine. Later I was doing
counter = counter + 1
and the syntax error occurred in the first use of counter on that line.

(?)

bob (perplexed, but happy to be learning Python)

Bob Savage

                        e^mail  -> savage@2xtreme.net