[Pythonmac-SIG] Launch App in background

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Sun, 06 Sep 1998 23:20:17 +0200

Recently, Vincenzo Tschinke <tschinke@swissonline.ch> said:
> I would like to use an helper application that processes some files for my py
> thon script.

There is currently no way around getting the application and/or the
finder in front (i.e. if someone knows of one: tell me:-).

Even when you use the aetools.talkto class with the "start" parameter
to the initializer it will still ask the finder to start the
application. This isn't as it should be: it could do the correct
process manager call itself, if it were available in Python.

If someone wants to implement this: be my guest. the current method of
starting a program has the undesirable side effect of sending an "Open
Application" message (the finder does that), and some applications
react to that by, for instance, opening an "Untitled" document. This
is not really what you want if the first messages you're going to send
the newly created process is an "Open File".
Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm