[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython Shell

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Mon, 07 Sep 1998 13:03:39 +0200

> At work the Python shell on a Sun uses the emacs line editing controls, and
> the NT binary I downloaded uses the arrow keys, but the Mac binary (FAT to get
> NumPy) doesn't supply any line editing.  Is there any way to make the arrow
> keys work?

Long long ago I thought of incorporating GNU readline in MacPython, but Guido
said he had looked at it and the code was so unix-specific that it was hardly
likely to be doable, so I didn't pursue it. If anyone else wants to tackle
this: the CodeWarrior newsgroup, comp.sys.mac.programmer.codewarrior, is
probably the best place to start inquiries, as the most logical place to put
line editing would be in SIOUX, the codewarrior console package used by Python.

However, with the event of Just's IDE this is all not so interesting anymore,
since the IDE has command line editing, and is the interface of choice for
interactive work.
Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm