[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: OSA compliance

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 12:01:26 +0100

Recently, Bob Savage <savage@2xtreme.net> said:
> I looked at the OSA stuff that came with Py 1.5, but I decided against
> getting involved with it at this stage because it said that the whole model
> for inter-application messaging was going to be rewritten. Has there been
> any progress on this front?

There has been some progress, in that various of the other selectors
are now implemented (since 1.5.1). However, what I envisioned when I
mentioned the "rewrite" will probably not happen, unless someone else
picks it up.

What I would have liked was to be able to do things like the following
in Python:
   f = Finder()
   for folder in f.OpenWindows:
	if f.FolderName == 'blabla':
		f.CloseWindow()
(forgive the names, they're progbably wrong, no mac near at the
moment). The point here is that it would be really nice if OSA object
identifiers were first-class Python objects, which you could get the
attributes of with the usual Python syntax, and on which you could
call methods to invoke operations with direct objects.

But, I guess I won't have the time to work on this for the forseeable
future:-(
Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm