[PYTHONMAC-SIG] Re: GUSI

Doug Wyatt doug@sonosphere.com
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 11:47:10 -0400

At 11:49 +0200 10/17/96, Jack Jansen wrote:
> > > The 1.4b3 distribution has a number of patches to GUSI, have you applied
> > > these? I remember a similar crash in the exit code, but I can't remember
> > >what
> > > I did exactly to fix it, but the patches did seem to fix it.
>

> > I looked around a bit in the 1.4b3 distribution for something labelled as a
> > patch to GUSI (I have CWGUSI 1.80) but didn't find anything.
>
> You're right: I didn't do the GUSI mods until after the 1.4b3 distribution.
> They are mods relative to GUSI 1.7.2. I will get the 1.8 distribution, see
> whether it still needs the mods and include them in the forthcoming 1.4
> release.
>
> Is the code that exhibits the bug easily isolated? If so I would like a copy
> to test it here...

Yes, I did the following (this is from memory, I don't want to crash my Mac
at the moment):

from ftplib import FTP
x = FTP()
x.set_debuglevel(2)
x.connect("anyoldhost", 21)	# FTP_PORT = 21

Somewhere in here the TCP receive routines would hang waiting for a long
time (despite some of the server's welcome text getting printed), and
_Fread would get into the bad state of counting down from 0xFFFFFFFF.

Thanks for looking into this.

Doug

--
Doug Wyatt            software development, Opcode Systems Inc.
doug@opcode.com       http://www.sonosphere.com/doug/