[python-win32] Pythoncom PROPVARIANT

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Mon Apr 25 22:56:19 EDT 2022

On 26/04/2022 5:00 am, Nicholas Pfeiffer wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Where is the PROPVARIANT class located in the pythoncom library?
> The docs are not helpful about this:
> http://timgolden.me.uk/pywin32-docs/PyPROPVARIANT.html
> <http://timgolden.me.uk/pywin32-docs/PyPROPVARIANT.html>
>
> I've seen postings that use the propsys module but that one no longer
> contains the PROPVARIANT class unfortunately.

It is implemented in that module - see
https://github.com/mhammond/pywin32/blob/main/com/win32comext/propsys/src/PyPROPVARIANT.cpp.

> I'm wondering if this class exists in a different package or if I can
> somehow recreate it?
>
> I need to write new properties to a file but using the WriteMultiple
> method will only let me write Strings with a prop variable id of 8 and I
> need them to show up as "Text" which has a prop variable id of 30.

30 == VT_LPSTR which isn't supported by pywin32 - but VT_LPWSTR (31) is
- you can create such an object with something like:

 >>> from win32com.propsys import propsys
 >>> import pythoncom
 >>> propsys.PROPVARIANTType("foo", pythoncom.VT_LPWSTR)
<PyPROPVARIANT object at 0x000001FAB01737A0>

> The only way I understand how to do this is to wrap the values used in
> the WriteMultiple method in a PROPVARIANT class call, but I haven't be
> able to figure out where that class is called from.

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with using WriteMultiple and I suspect it
will depends on what exactly is on the other end.

HTH,