[python-win32] How to find corresponding WMI/COM object for given Windows Registry key?

Radek Holý radekholypublic at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 01:58:02 CEST 2012

2012/6/17 Tim Golden <mail at timgolden.me.uk>:
> On 17/06/2012 20:34, Radek Holý wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm playing with pywin32 and wmi modules last week. During my
>> experiments I found some attribute/method of some object
>> (COMObject/_wmi_object) or its property which listed the Windows
>> Registry key path which is set by the object.
>> Don’t you know which object/attribute it was?
>>
>> Don’t you know how to find corresponding WMI/COM object for given
>> Windows Registry key? Is there any useful table of this mapping on the
>> web?
>>
>> Thank you very much
>

> <code>
> import wmi
>
> reg = wmi.WMI (namespace="default").StdRegProv
>
> reg.EnumKey (...) # etc.
>
> </code>
>

> BTW -- not that this answers your question -- did you see that
> there's a mini-webapp which comes with the wmi distribution
> called wmiweb.py?
>
> It gives an easy way to browse the WMI namespaces? It has no
> search capability to it wouldn't have helped much with this
> question unless you could remember which namespace it was in
> but in case you're experimenting elsewhere....
>
> TJG

My question is probably poorly formulated.
In fact -- as I discovered -- some WMI objects reflect their values in
the Windows Registry keys (for example there is mapping
“root\cimv2:Win32_OSRecoveryConfiguration.AutoReboot” in
“HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl\AutoReboot”).
Is there some *common* attribute of WMI/COM/OLE objects giving the key path?
Is it possible to determine (by some manual/automatic iteration), for
example which WMI/COM object sets
“HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\VerboseStatus”?

I must say that wmiweb is a great application.

Thank you
--
Radek Holý
Czech republic