[python-win32] Possible future direction for PyGUI on Win32

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Feb 28 23:14:36 CET 2011

Octavian Rasnita wrote:
> From: "Greg Ewing" <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz>
>
>> No, if I go this way, I would probably stop maintaining
>> the current implementation.
>
> Oh, in that case imho I think this is a very bad idea.

Can you elaborate on exactly what is bad about it, and
suggest an alternative?

The standard Windows GUI API is severely crippled compared
to what is available natively in Cocoa and Gtk. The only
alternatives I see at the moment are:

* Allow Windows to hold back the development of PyGUI on
all the other platforms.

* Implement the missing functionality on Windows in pure
Python -- a lot of work, and probably not practical for
something complex such as a rich text or HTML widget.

* Rely on a third party library to supply the missing
functionality on Windows.

--
Greg