[python-win32] Acrobat Reader

Waldemar Osuch waldemar.osuch at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 19:55:18 CEST 2006

On 4/5/06, Tim Roberts <timr at probo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 09:15:16 +0200, "Mirco Furlan (Visionee)"
> <mirco.furlan at visionee.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm trying to use an instance of Adobe Acrobat Reader. I can successfull
> >create an instance with win32com.client.Dispatch,
> >

> How did you do that?  To my knowledge, the only way to do that is to use
> AcroExch.App, which is only exposed by the full Acrobat product, not the
> Reader.  As far as I know, the standalone Reader application simply
> cannot be controlled via COM.  There is an ActiveX control, but that's a
> bigger deal.

I know Dispatch used to work with the Reader.  Did Adobe broke the
Reader to force us to pay for the full version or is it pythoncom at
fault here?
But then again I have working .Net application that uses Reader to
display files.
I did not write the .Net one so do not ask me how it does it :-).
But I do have source and could try to find out.

> The Acrobat ActiveX wrapper in wxPython explodes with version 7, deep
> within Acrobat, where it has never done so before.  The problem has not
> been isolated yet.
It is the same issue.  I think.

> The only reliable and portable way to do what you ask is to fire up the
> reader from a command line.
Yes but then you can not control it at all.

Waldemar