[python-win32] Acrobat Reader

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Wed Apr 5 19:39:18 CEST 2006

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 09:15:16 +0200, "Mirco Furlan (Visionee)"
<mirco.furlan at visionee.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to use an instance of Adobe Acrobat Reader. I can successfull
>create an instance with win32com.client.Dispatch,

How did you do that?  To my knowledge, the only way to do that is to use
AcroExch.App, which is only exposed by the full Acrobat product, not the
Reader.  As far as I know, the standalone Reader application simply
cannot be controlled via COM.  There is an ActiveX control, but that's a
bigger deal.

>but when I try to load a
>document, python crashes! I had version 7 of Reader and I tried to install
>an older version (6.1), but same result. I would use it to print pdf
>documents with its methods (in particular PrintPages(..) ). Is there some
>known problem? Any suggestion or alternative solution will appreciate.

The Acrobat ActiveX wrapper in wxPython explodes with version 7, deep
within Acrobat, where it has never done so before.  The problem has not
been isolated yet.

The only reliable and portable way to do what you ask is to fire up the
reader from a command line.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com