[python-win32] Slow COM since Office XP migration

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Wed Oct 20 13:25:37 CEST 2004

> I have used the python win32com package succesfully for
> automating boring Word doc generation. This worked at the
> speed of light using Word 97. Lately, though, my company
> upgraded to Office XP.
>
> Since then, my python scripts have continued to work fine,
> but the response time has increased dramatically. This is
> kind of problematic for me. Quick response time is pivotal to
> an efficient doc generation.

You should check if you are using early-binding, or "makepy".  It is
possible that as Office has been upgraded and has later type-libraries, you
are now using 'dynamic' objects.  You mention "static COM", but it is not
clear exactly what you mean.

A useful thing is to use win32com.client.gencache.EnsureDispatch() - this
magically runs makepy at runtime, ensuring you always have an early-bound,
makepy generated object.  A repr() of the COM object should make it clear if
you are using makepy generated objects.

Otherwise it is news to me - but unfortunately I don't have office xp, so
can't easily reproduce it.  It would be useful if you can narrow down
exactly what is slower.

> PS: This COM package for python should be placed on the
> vatican list for sainthood.

Thanks :)