[python-win32] GUI Rad for Python win32

Kerry Oliphant koliphant at qwest.net
Fri Apr 2 12:59:25 EST 2004

If you are interested in using the Windows API (i.e. win32all) and not some
other API like wxWindows you can use Microsoft Visual Studio to design all
of your dialog boxes, etc. and then create a dll with just the resources
from Visual Studio in it.  Then within your python code you call
win32ui.LoadLibrary to load the resources and use them.

This is not really a RAD solution but it works pretty well and it does the
hardest part for you (the layout of the dialog boxes.)  You still have to
manually add code to actually use the dialog resources but this is straight
forward and you can start with the examples in win32all to get going pretty
quickly.  If you are interested in going this route I can send you some
example code of how I do it.  Also look at Mark Hammond and Andy Robinson's
"Python Programming on Win32" book, Chapter 20 in particular.

Kerry