[python-win32] py2exe failure on long path

Larry Bates lbates at syscononline.com
Mon Oct 27 15:32:58 EST 2003

I have a relatively simple Python program that I wish to
make into .EXE using py2exe.  When I try to execute the
application I get:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 2, in ?
  File "imputil.pyc", line 103, in _import_hook
  File "<string>", line 52, in _import_top_module
  File "imputil.pyc", line 216, in import_top
  File "imputil.pyc", line 267, in _import_one
  File "<string>", line 163, in get_code
ImportError: DLL load failed: The process cannot access the file because
it is being used by another process.

It doesn't appear to tell me which DLL load failed and I can promise that none
of the .DLLs called from this program are in use by another process (I even
rebooted my machine just to make sure).

I copied this from my server where it had a long path name of:

F:\Swami\Projects\Syscon\WTS\SQLdblog\dist\SQLdblog\SQLdblog.exe

C:\Junk\SQLdblog\SQLdblog.exe

(along with the supporting .DLL, .PYD, etc. files)

and it runs fine.  Seems to be a problem with the length of the path where the
program is being executed from.

Regards,
Larry Bates