[python-uk] PyCon UK 2017 practicalities

Leo Garcia leogarcia61 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 17:06:53 EDT 2017

Hey Peter,

Hope the run up to PyCon is going OK!

I was just getting in touch to say I'm leaving Velindre to start a new life
as a developer for a startup based out of Welsh ICE called Signum Health.
Sadly they don't use Python (it's ASP.NET - travesty!) but I thought I'd
let you know that the training you gave us in Django helped me get off the
ground in web development which, in turn, led to this job! I actually got
another job offer before this one for these guys <http://devinit.org/> which
was a Python role, but it was in Bristol which was a bit far out for me.

I'd also like to say I've tried as hard possible to get you booked in to
give us those training sessions in Velindre, but the resistance has been
scary and disappointing. They genuinely made the excuse that because we had
a new technologist starting the same month as your training was due to go
ahead we'd have to delay the training.... Genuinely makes no sense. I think
it's cos you were going to recommend us using git instead of SVN and it
pushed them over the edge : ). I've asked them to make sure they book you
in once I've gone but the likelihood of that happening is basically zero -
they seem intent on making their own ropey system instead of just
implementing tried and tested industry standards. We're no further ahead
with it than we were a year ago. As you might have guessed this lack of
drive and focus is in part why I'm leaving!

If I could justify coming to PyCon I definitely would... I will see if I
can persuade my new employer to send me. My wife is considering going to
Django Girls too - and I've shared it to my friends. The creche is a genius
idea - childcare is such a barrier to entry for stuff like this.

Anyway, I hope our paths cross again - if you're out in Cardiff for drinks
during the conference let me know!

Best wishes to you and the family,

Leo