[Python-mode] upcoming release

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Jan 28 23:09:09 CET 2011

On Jan 28, 2011, at 10:56 PM, Andreas Röhler wrote:

>enabling XEmacs' handling of triple-quoted-strings fixing bugs known for now
>seems an interesting item from my perspective.  paragraph-fill-warts branch
>should enable this.
>https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode/paragraph-fill-warts It
>comes with a lot of utilities though, some required, some just part of the
>tool-box, where singling-out the required here is possible.  I'm hesitating
>to propose that for general release, as people might be scared by the
>material, which is just partly python-related.  OTOH, what I'm promessing: it
>pays.  These utilities will fasten up editing, python-mode and all other.
>What about to release a thus experimental brunch for XEmacs users first,
>while it will work for all?  Andreas

Andreas, as always, thanks for your hard work on python-mode!  It's very much
appreciated.

I've merged your branch and will play with it over the weekend.  I'm going to
leave it to Skip to verify the XEmacs compatibility issues (Skip please let us
know if you need help getting Andreas's branch).

python-mode.el has always been self-contained, meaning people can easily
download or copy one file and get great Python support in Emacs.  Requiring
your utilities changes that, and can make it harder for some folks to adopt
python-mode.el.  I'm not saying that necessarily means it can't be done, but
we do have to think about the ramifications.  I'd like to get other folks
thoughts on that.

OTOH, I encourage you to get your code into upstream Emacs and XEmacs.  That
would certainly make our lives easy again. :)

Do you think it would be possible and easy to pull out just the parts that
python-mode.el needs and include those in that file?  If not, then what about
making sure python-mode.el gracefully degrades when those extra files aren't
there?

By that I mean, if someone does not have your new utilities, python-mode.el
should at least work as well as it does currently.  python-mode.el should then
take advantage of your utilities if they're available.

Thoughts?
-Barry