Question(s)

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 06:45:55 EDT 2023

A post with useful ideas - - - - thanks (it generates some questions!
interleaved)

On Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 8:35 PM Chris Angelico via Python-list
<python-list at python.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Oct 2023 at 12:11, Thomas Passin via Python-list
> <python-list at python.org> wrote:
> > This doesn't mean that no program can ever be proven to halt, nor that
> > no program can never be proven correct by formal means.  Will your
> > program be one of those?  The answer may never come ...

snip
> So is all hope lost? No. We learn from our mistakes, we add more
> layers. And ultimately, we test until we're reasonably confident, and
> then go with it, knowing that failures WILL happen. Your goal as a
> programmer isn't to prevent failure altogether - if it were, you would
> never be able to achieve anything. Your goal is to catch those
> failures before they cause major issues.
>
> 1. Catch the failure as you're typing in code. Done, fixed, that's
> what the Backspace key is for.
> 2. Catch the failure as you save. We have a lot of tools that can help
> you to spot bugs.

Tools like this for python please.

> 3. Catch the failure before you commit and push. Unit tests are great for this.

Where might I find such please.

> 4. Catch the failure collaboratively. Other developers can help. Or
> you can use automated tests that run on a bot farm, checking your code
> on a variety of different systems (see for example Python's
> buildbots).

This is very interesting - - - grin - - - almost looks like another rabbit hole
to climb into though.

> 5. Catch the failure in alpha. Release to a small number of willing
> users first. They get rewarded with cool new features before everyone
> else does, in return for having fewer guarantees.

For here its software for use here so I get to wear all the hats.

> 6. If all else fails, catch the failure before it kills someone.
> Design your system so that failures are contained. That's easier for
> some than others, but it's part of why I've been saying "system" here
> rather than "program".

This will not be an issue here - - - at least not yet. This is software for
collecting data to enhance management of things that aren't generally
managed in most like outfits. (Or they utilize the 800# gorillas in the
industries tools which are bloody pricey.)

> Eff up like it's your job.
> https://thedailywtf.com/articles/eff-up-like-it-s-your-job

Very interesting article - - - thanks!

TIA