Aw: Re: pip/pip3 confusion and keeping up to date

Karsten Hilbert Karsten.Hilbert at gmx.net
Tue Nov 7 05:44:14 EST 2023

> > .From all the posts I gather the answer to my question is
> > "simply": unpackaged-but-needed modules need to be packaged.
>
> I think there is one aspect that isn't getting consideration here.  And
> that is whether or not you want these packages installed in the default
> system Python install.  You might not.

Indeed, which is why all the fuzz about how to fill-in a venv from pip while
installing with apt :-)

With "properly" packaged modules one wouldn't risk (that much) system
breakage, at any rate.

>  Maybe you want to get the latest
> possible version of super-dooper-gui-helper, but one of its dependencies
> doesn't play well with the system Python libraries. Or ... but you get
> the point.  There are probably many cases where you want *not* to
> install into the system Python world.  So you would need to come up with
> an APT-based installer that doesn't do that.
>
> Obviously it's not unthinkable;

Certainly not, it's just that I had hoped someone goes: look here
and all of this ...

> it is just one more thing to figure out.

... has been thought through before.

Thanks,
Karsten